New to the Carlson Center, eight classic sweaters on the walls

By  | 

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - The Carlson Center just got a lot cooler, with the addition of eight historic sweaters added to the walls for fans to see the history of the uniforms that the Polar Bears Hockey Club wore back before the 70's hit.
As former Alaska hockey player Russell Knapp, who graduated in 1969, returned to Fairbanks to help commemorate the joyous occasion and provide the recreated uniforms.
Here is the sweaters that now ordain the walls of the Carlson.
Starting off with the first sweater, it's a blue one with a golden bears on the chest.
These were worn from 1932 to 1935 under the name of Alaska Agricultural College And School of Mines.
Then from '35 to '36, Alaska wore a yellow sweater with some blue and a white bear on the chest.
Then the team in '36 travelled to the Lower 48, wearing their yellow and blue stripped sleeves with the chest saying, "Fairbanks Dawson" and had the bear on there again.
In '38 and '39, Alaska wore similar stripped uniforms, but the design was a little bit sleeker and Dawson was dropped from it.
During the start of World War II, Fairbanks wore these sweaters from '38 to 1940, having golden shoulders with a blue top, and a white bear face on the front.
Then after a break, the University returned to the ice from 1947 to 1949, with the Polar Bears sporting a yellow jersey and a blue bear face on the front.
They also had blue shoulders and blue arm bands.
In 1949 to '51, the school went without a logo, keeping the basic design and having numbers on the front.
It also sported the name Polar Bears.
And lastly, the hockey club wore theses beauts from 1952 to 1962, then as the Nanooks hockey club from 1963 to 1968.