FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) Salcha Fire & Rescue has sent out a press release for the national campaign Change your Clock, Change your Battery. The National campaign is a helpful reminder that on November 3rd, when changing the clock one hour back, to change your smoke detector batteries. It's a simple act that could save a life. Along with this reminder Salcha Fire and Rescue sent a Fire Safety checklist including helpful tips to assist residents in case of emergencies.
Salcha Fire & Rescue has sent out a press release for the national campaign Change your Clock, Change your Battery. The National campaign is a helpful reminder that on November 3rd, when changing the clock one hour back, to change your smoke detector batteries. (storyblocks enterprise)
Fire Safety Checklist
- Install a smoke alarm on each level of your home, including the basement. Consult your fire department for proper installation locations.
- Test and vacuum your smoke alarms once a month dust and cobwebs can impair sensitivity.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms once a year.
- Install CO (carbon monoxide) detectors in the sleeping area.
- Check flashlight batteries. Always keep a working flashlight near your bed, in the kitchen, basement, and family room in the event of a fire, use a flashlight to signal for help.
- Install fire extinguishers. Be sure to install a fire extinguisher in or near your kitchen and know how to use it. The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends a multi- or all-purpose fire extinguisher that's listed by an accredited testing laboratory.
- Make sure your children know and understand fire safety. Children are at double the risk of dying in a home fire, because they often become scared and confused during fires. Show your children where smoke alarms are located. Make sure they recognize the smoke alarm's sound and understand that a sounding smoke alarm signals a home fire
- Plan and practice your escape routes. Identify at least two different escape routes and practice them with the entire family.
Copyright 2019 KTVF. All rights reserved.