Halloween Homicide Suspect Arrested After Police Follow Foot Trail in the Snow

By  | 

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Police have arrested a man in connection with the Halloween homicide that left a victim stabbed to death in East Fairbanks.
Authorities say the suspect claims he was acting in self-defense.
26 year old Sheldon Charles Wolfe has been charged with second- degree murder and tampering with physical evidence.
Shortly after 7 PM yesterday, the Fairbanks Police Department responded to a call of a deceased person in the area of Old Steese Highway and College Road.
Officials found the victim, 40 year old Armagan Idil, had suffered a stab wound to the left side of his neck, but was still alive.
He was transported to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Detectives were able to follow footprints leaving the scene in the fresh snow.
The trail led police toward the Bentley Mall, west along College Road, south on Illinois Street, across the Cushman Street bridge, through a parking lot onto 5th Avenue, and eventually into the parking lot of the Alaska Motor Inn.
Police contacted Wolfe there; they say he appeared to have a bruise on his left cheek, and was wearing shoes matching the footprints they followed.
Officials say Wolfe told officers he and his friend were walking on the Old Steese Highway when they were confronted by Idil.
He said Idil yelled at his friend, then struck the friend in the back of the head with a blunt weapon.
Wolfe told officers he got between the two and Idil attacked him.
Police say Wolfe told them he stabbed Idil with a butterfly-type knife.
Wolfe told police he threw the knife in the Tanana River at the Chena Pump Boat launch.
FPD Chief, Eric Jewkes, says physical confrontation is a complicated subject, and officials are investigating Wolfe's claims of self-defense.

Chief Eric Jewkes; Fairbansk Police Department>> "There's some information that he had told the investigators that there was a mutual fight and there may be self-defense and so we are looking into that matter. While we respect people's ability to defends themselves, there is a responsibility once the threat is up not to leave someone lying, bleeding, dead in a parking lot."

The investigation is ongoing, and police are asking for anyone with information to contact Detective Avery Thompson at 450-6549.