FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Thursday, around 4 p.m., the Fairbanks Fire Department received a report of gas leak near Fred Meyers East. Businesses in the Raven Tree Center at 910 Old Steese Highway were evacuated, and the fire department set up a perimeter around the building. Fairbanks Natural Gas was also on scene to repair the leak, which took about 15 minutes according to Communications Director for the City of Fairbanks Teal Soden. No injuries have been reported.
"The occupant of the building was digging near the gas line and accidentally struck it causing a gas leak. The building was evacuated, just as a precaution, and the fire department will stay on scene until Fairbanks Natural Gas has finished and they'll make sure there is no dangerous accumulation of gas anywhere and then they'll be clearing," Soden said.