Fairbanks woman charged with September credit union robbery

Tiffany Flenaugh appears in court for her trial after she allegedly took a firearm in evidence from the courtroom. She has since been charged federally for the incident as well as a bank robbery in Sept. (John Dougherty/KTVF)

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) The U.S. Attorney’s office has charged a Fairbanks woman with attempted credit union robbery, receipt of a firearm while under felony indictment, and possession of a stolen firearm. Tiffany Flenaugh, 29, is currently in custody in Fairbanks.

According to the press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Flenaugh attempted to rob the Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union on Sept. 3.

The firearms charges are from a Nov. 19 incident where she allegedly took a firearm from the Rabinowitz courthouse in downtown Fairbanks that was part of evidence in a trial against her. Sergeant Charles Inderrieden with Judicial Services confirmed that Flenaugh took the gun during a court recess and walked out of the courtroom and then out of the building. The in court clerk notified Judicial Services and they apprehended the suspect outside of the court building. She was later arrested for the incident.

According to the press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office Flenaugh fled the courthouse with the Taurus 450 Titanium .45 caliber revolver and threw it in a snowbank outside of the courthouse. If convicted of the firearm offences she could face up to 10 years in federal prison and a maximum of 20 years in federal prison for the attempted robbery of the credit union.

The FBI, Fairbanks Police Department and Alaska State Troopers investigated the charges against Flenaugh and both cases are being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan Tansey.

Tansey said that Flenaugh is still being prosecuted at the state level for tampering with evidence, theft of a firearm, weapons misconduct, and violating conditions of release from the courthouse incident. After being charged with the new crimes she decided to plead guilty to weapons misconduct in the 4th and 5th degree in the case she was at trial for.

Judge McConhay sentenced her to 360 days in jail with 360 days suspended. She also plead guilty to charges in two other cases. She will serve no time for those convictions.

Sgt. Inderrieden said that Judicial Services is reviewing their policy to ensure that something like this does not happen in the future and called the incident a fluke.

Flenaugh was not in custody during the trial and there were no Judicial Services officers in the courtroom when the incident took place.
According to Inderrieden, Judicial Services was not aware that the gun was in the courtroom at the time. They said they have made changes and agencies are now required to let Judicial Services know when they bring a gun into the courthouse.

Copyright 2019 KTVF. All rights reserved.