Fairbanks Firefighters respond to structure fire

Fairbanks Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 926 Gilmore St. on Thursday evening possibly related to an unattended cooking fire. No injuries were reported. (Storyblocks Images)

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) Fairbanks Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 926 Gilmore St. on Thursday evening. A resident of the apartment building had called about smoke coming down his hallway from another unit.

When the Fairbanks Fire Department (FFD) responded to the scene, they found a single apartment with a kitchen fire that had extended to the living room. Although it was put out within minutes, they discovered smoke damage throughout the unit as well as several others throughout the apartment.

No injuries were reported, and Red Cross was on the scene to assist displaced occupants. University Fire provided mutual aid to FFD.

Preliminary findings indicate that the fire was accidental and possibly a result of unattended cooking.

Copyright 2020 KTVF. All rights reserved.