– The Department of Public Safety is exploring better ways to communicate directly with Alaskans about public safety matters and events statewide. For this communication to be successful, we encourage Alaskans to sign up for the service.
There are several simple ways to register for the service:
1. Text your zip code to 888-777 from your mobile phone. Once a response is received, follow the instructions and reply back with your email address to receive updates. (Those who have previously provided their zip code to Nixle to sign up for messages from another agency need not do so again.)
2. Visit nixle.com and set up a user profile.
3. Visit dps.alaska.gov and sign up via the Nixle widget at the bottom of our homepage.
Residents may customize the Nixle settings on their accounts. As messages are geographically based, we encourage Alaskans to subscribe to any of the following:
• Alaska State Troopers HQ (Anchorage)
• Alaska State Troopers A Detachment (Southeast)
• Alaska State Troopers B Detachment (Mat-Su, Glennallen, Valdez and Cordova)
• Alaska State Troopers C Detachment (Western Alaska from Kivalina to Kodiak and the Aleutians)
• Alaska State Troopers D Detachment (Interior)
• Alaska State Troopers E Detachment (Kenai Peninsula)
All messages will be targeted geographically, allowing Alaskans to receive localized, relevant messages from their chosen AST detachment(s). Nixle will be utilized for communicating about issues of immediate public concern to include highway closures, proactive enforcement campaigns, information in the event of a natural disaster, and other emergencies.
The Daily Dispatches will remain the primary source for up-to-date DPS information.
Nixle messages can be sent in an instant via text, email, Web, social media, and the Nixle Mobile App. Nixle is partnered with the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System for unmatched data security as well as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the National Blue Alert Network, and Google for unmatched reach and two-way information exchange. For more information about Nixle, visit www.nixle.com.