FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) Ft. Wainwright and Eielson Air Force Base will be conducting exercises this week. On Ft. Wainwright, the Ice Fog 20 exercise will feature multiple training scenarios on base on February 25 and 26.
A press release from Ft. Wainwright says that Ice Fog 20 is meant to “test, verify effectiveness, and correct any shortfalls in response and recovery to a variety of simulated incidents on Fort Wainwright in an effort to improve safety and protection of personnel, facilities, and infrastructure.”
The exercise will involve local fire response, law enforcement, and medical emergency first responders.
The press release advises that Ft. Wainwright residents and visitors may experience the following:
• See role-players and emergency personnel with vehicles acting out scenarios.
• Expect brief delays at installation gates.
• Expect limited access to buildings or areas participating in the exercise that normally
• Operate with multiple entrances.
• Expect access to buildings participating in the exercise to require you to show an ID card.
• Expect that there will be temporary road closures or detours in the vicinity of exercise events.
• Expect to see NIXLE messages or posts on social media about the events in the exercise.
It also notes that messages related to the exercise will begin and end with the words “EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE” to distinguish them from other events.
Eielson Air Force Base will be conducting Golden Raven 20-1, a wing readiness exercise, between February 24 and 28. They advise that facilities and services will be affected leading up to and during the exercise.
They also note that the 354th Medical Group will be closed on Monday, February 24.
Copyright 2020 KTVF. All rights reserved.