Five children caught in Butte fire determined to have died from smoke inhalation

By  | 

The cause of death for the five children who died in a Butte fire a week ago determined to be smoke inhalation after an accidental cooking fire sent their mobile home up in a blaze.

Last Thursday morning, the Alaska State Troopers and the Alaska Fire Marshal's Office were notified of a structure fire in the community of Butte, near Palmer.
Officials responded, but were too late to save the children.

The remains of 5 sisters between the ages of 3 and 12 were recovered from the burned out trailer.

According to reports, the children's mother had woken the girls up for school, leaving the oldest in charge, then stepped out for a few minutes to give the grandmother a ride home.

In a press briefing today, the state fire marshal said the mobile home had burned quickly and it was unclear if there were working fire alarms in the trailer.

No charges are being brought against the parents and no foul play is suspected.