Fire fighters warn of carbon monoxide dangers

As fall turns to winter, many Alaskans are turning on heating appliances that if not properly
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can cause brain damage and even death.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning can happen as the temperature drop and residents begin to turn on their appliances for heat.
Keep all fuel-burning appliances and engine properly vented including space heaters, furnaces, charcoal grills, cooking ranges, water heaters, fireplaces, portable generators, wood burning stoves and of course car and truck engines.
Exposure to this poison is particularly dangerous for un born babies, children and adults. Some symptoms of carbon monoxide can be a dull headache, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, confusion and blurred vision.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there's a problem.
Kyle Green; Deputy Fire Marshal>>: "So first and foremost is prevention, making sure your appliances are maintained and received their annual service and then to mitigate the exposure because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless, we can't detect it. We recommend having a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. Particularly carbon monoxide alarms are placed inside your sleeping areas and it's also a really good idea to have ones in areas that you spend the most time in or where you might nap in, like your living room. So bedrooms, living rooms, those are all good places to have your carbon monoxide alarms."
If your carbon monoxide alarm does go off, Deputy Fire Marshal Green say to leave the home, leave the door open as you go and call 9-1-1 from a safe area.