UPDATE: Fort Wainwright Fire Chief comments on early morning fire that injured 3

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) Update:

Three people were injured in an early morning house fire in an eight-unit building on Fort Wainwright. At this time, it appears the damage has been limited to the affected unit. (Photo by U.S. Army Garrison Alaska Fort Wainwright Public Affairs Office)

Fort Wainwright Fire Chief Chuck Gibbs said that an individual who witnessed the fire suffered smoke inhalation while attempted to help the residents of the house that was on fire. She was treated at Basset Army Hospital. Gibbs praised the actions of the woman saying she was helping before firefighters even arrived.

There were four pets in the house, two dogs and two cats. The two cats and one dog escaped but firefighters found a dog deceased in an upstairs bedroom.

The residents suffered various injuries including smoke inhalation and burns.

The cause of the fire is under investigation and a state fire marshal is assisting in the investigation. Fairbanks Fire Department also responded to the scene.

Chief Gibbs praised the firefighters saying that their good work helped to keep the fire from spreading.

"For the firefighters to get in there and knock it down and no fire extension into the roof attic area or into either side of the of the homes on either side of it, it was just amazing. So great job they did," Gibbs said.

Original Story:

Three individuals were injured in an early morning fire in a housing unit on Cedar Rd. on Fort Wainwright. Two of the injured are being treated at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, and one has been medically evacuated to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The fire occurred at approximately 6 a.m. and firefighters from the Fort Wainwright Fire Department were on scene within minutes.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly, and there does not appear to be structural damage to the adjacent units in the eight unit building at this time.

Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.