Kaktovik's only school declared a "total loss" after fire

By  | 

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - The only school in Kaktovik is said to be a “total loss” after an overnight fire.

Kaktovik Mayor Amanda Kaleak says the school is a total loss.

Channel 2 spoke with Melvin Kayotuk, resident of Kaktovik, who captured video of the fire.

“We woke up then heard the school was on fire,” Kayotuk said.

Harry Brower Jr., North Slope Borough Mayor, said in a statement:

"Currently, we do not know the cause of the fire but we do know the school was evacuated quickly."

The mayor went on to say, "We are so happy to report, no injuries or loss of life has been reported at this time."

Brower added Borough resource will be made available to those affected.

“It caught on fire and just got worse and worse,” Kayotuk went on to say, “I feel sad for our kids that are gone right now. They went to play a ball game in another village and they’re going to come home and they’re going to have no more school as it being burnt down.”

Kayotuk suspects frozen pipes along with heaters being on may have sparked the fire.

Copyright 2020 KTUU. All Rights Reserved.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus