Firefighters Warn of Carbon Dioxide Dangers

By  | 

As the temperatures drop, many Alaskans begin to turn on their appliances for heat. With that comes the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can cause brain damage and even death.
Some symptoms of the poison can be a dull headache, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, confusion and blurred vision.
It is produced when carbon containing materials like wood, coal, oil, and natural gas burn incompletely.
Space heaters, furnaces, charcoal grills, cooking ranges, water heaters, fireplaces, portable generators, wood burning stoves and vehicles all produce carbon monoxide.
The Deputy Fire Marshal, Kyle Green says there are easy ways to prevent poisoning.
Kyle Green; Deputy Fire Marshal>> "So first and foremost is prevention, making sure your appliances are maintained and received their annual service and then to mitigate the exposure because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless, we can't detect it. We recommend having a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. Particularly carbon monoxide alarms are placed inside your sleeping areas and it's also a really good idea to have ones in areas that you spend the most time in or where you might nap in, like your living room. So bedrooms, living rooms, those are all good places to have your carbon monoxide alarms."

If your carbon monoxide alarm does go off, Deputy Fire Marshal Green say to leave the home, leave the door open as you go and call 9-1-1 from a safe area.