Ice Dogs drop second series opener

FAIRBANKS-The Ice Dogs wanted to get off to hot a start. It was something they didn't do in their last home series opener against the Corpus Christi Ice Rays. The Chill beat the Ice Dogs to it in their 4-2 Midwest division win tonight.

It was the first ever meeting between the two teams and in the first period the Chill introduced themselves. Coulee put two goals in net within the first five minutes of the game. The first was by Eddie Matsushima just a little over two minutes after the puck dropped. Gordon Wells, a former Fresno Monster who knows the Ice Dogs pretty well, go a goal two minutes after Matsushima.

Colton Wolter, the veteran Ice Dog, thought he answered with a goal later in the period but it was disallowed. The puck went though two defenders from the right circle bounced off of goalie Adam Carlson's padded and dribbled past the goaline, yet no goal.

Despite the head scratching call the Chill used that to cash in again. Mac Jansen got a pass from teammate James McGing which led to a breakaway and Jansen got the puck past Kevin Aldridge. The Chill's lead was 3-0 with seconds left in the opening period.

With 14 seconds left in the first the Ice Dogs got an interesting goal to say the least. Brett Gervais was on the blue line and received a pass from Lonnie Clary and put his stick down violently for a quick and powerful one-timer. The puck zoomed right into the knee of Coulee's Cam Bleck who instantly went down in a heap. The puck bounced back to Gervais who simply look to put the puck back behind net and it went airborn. It dropped like a curve ball go over the glove of teammate Chanlder Madry, who was in front of Carlson, and it dropped over the bigger glove of Carlson for the score.

Late in the second period Wolter finally got one to officially count for Fairbanks. Kyle Lee passed to a streaking Wolter who went for the wrist shot that went in to make it a 3-2 game with 3:53 to go in the game. The Chill were calm, cool and collected. Jansen struck again for his second goal of the game two minutes and six seconds after Wolter's score.

That would prove to be all Coulee need as Carlson had a scoreless third for the final margin.

Carlson made 38 saves on the 40 Fairbanks shots he faced. Jansen finished with two scores and Adam Lovick had two assists for the Chill. The Ice Dogs are now 8-3 but still hold a two point Midwest division lead.

Both teams are back on the ice for game two tomorrow at 7:30 in the Big Bipper.