Gunderson keeps UAA's season alive in 2-1 win over UAF

FAIRBANKS-On Friday night at the Carlson Center the Nanooks had a chance for a aweep and a first round playoff series win. The Seawolves were facing elimination and responded with a 2-1 win.

The game looked as if the first period would go scoreless like it did in game one. UAF's Colton Parayko, the WCHA Defenseman of the Year, set the tone early in the game with a big hit as Brett Cameron thought he could stand in the slot. Parayko made him air-born with his vicious check.

Then with 28 seconds remaining in the first period the sophomore defenseman showed off his power with an absolute cannon of a slapper from the blue line. UAA goalie Rob Gunderson didn't stand a chance as the puck landed in the back of the net.

Colton Beck and Michael Quinn assisted on Parayko's score. The assist gave Beck his 100th career point and the Nanooks a 1-0 lead going into the second period.

The second period, however, would go to the Seawolves as UAA got two goals within the first five minutes of the second period. Those goals were also within a minute and half of each other.

All-WCHA first teamer Matt Bailey tied the game just three minutes into the period with a wrist shot from the left circle. Shortly after the UAA equalizer Brad Duwe, the freshman forward and former Kenai River Brown Bear gave the Seawolves the lead with a rebound shot that found the net.

Gunderson stopped all eight UAF shots in that period and managed to hold on to the puck as Nanook hockey players crashed in front of the net after shots creating some messy scrums. The Seawolves led 2-1 going into the third.

In the final period the Seawolves defense and Gunderson made the plays to keep the Nanooks at bay. Gunderson robbed all 11 of Alaska's chances in the third period as UAF tried to tie the game. Gunderson didn't allow another goal and made 25 saves.

UAA would hold on for the 2-1 forcing a do or die game three tonight at the Carlson Center.

The overall season series between the two teams is tied 3-3. The winner of the next game goes on to the WCHA Final Five while the other team's season will end.