Fire destroys garage, apartment

A late afternoon structure fire in the Farmers Loop area destroyed a storage garage and adjoining apartment.

Steese Area volunteer fire officials got the call around 4 PM responding to the area of 767 Airpark Drive near Echo Acres.

According to Steese fire chief Mitch Flynn, personnel had responded to the same residence about three weeks ago after a lighted chicken coop building apparently had been knocked over, which ignited bales of hay that sat near the building.

Flynn says a faulty wood stove may be a direct cause of yesterday's fire. He says the building, which houses a 2-car garage and an upstairs apartment, was about 50% involved when officials arrived.

Flynn says they get at least four fire calls a year involving lighted chicken coops. A damage amount has not been determined, and no injuries were reported in the fire. Steese fire officials also got mutual aid assistance from Fairbanks City, Ft. Wainwright, North Star and University fire departments.