Fire damages Fairbanks Restaurant Gambardellas Pasta Bella

An early morning fire left damage to a popular Downtown Fairbanks restaurant.

The fire was reported at around 6AM at Gambardellas Pasta Bella; Fairbanks Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Ernie Misewicz says, an exterior planter box caught and fire burned into the wall of the building causing damage to the interior.

The fire was contained to the front window area of the restaurant due to the sprinkler system inside of the building.

The cause of the fire was a passerby putting out a cigarette in the planter box.

Misewicz says this is the fourth or fifth fire reported due to using a flower pot as an ash tray.

No injuries were reported in the fire.

Owner Lisa Gambardella estimated damage at ten thousand dollars.