Fairbanks man guilty of Kidnapping and Felony Assault

After just one hour of deliberations, jurors returned guilty verdicts, on all charges, in the case of a 41 year old Fairbanks man accused in the Kidnapping and brutal beating of a female

acquaintance in late 2011.

Edward Parks, Jr. was convicted on two felony counts of Kidnapping, First, Second, Third and Fourth Degree Assault, as well as Witness Tampering.

Parks nearly beat the mother of his children to death, and held her captive during a three day period.

They say the woman, identified in court records as "B.S." sustained numerous injuries, including a collapsed lung, and cracked ribs.

They also say Parks, while in jail on the charges, also solicited the services of another inmate at Fairbanks Correctional Center in order to persuade the woman to forget what had


The woman, who also attended the entire trial in the case, applauded the jury's verdict.

Meanwhile, the defendant's mother, Evelyn Parks-Lundeen, called the decision "surreal."

"This just doesn't seem real," said Parks-Lundeen. "I am at a loss for words."

Neither side commented on camera in light of the jury verdict, but Fairbanks Assistant District Attorney Andrew Baldock, the lead prosecutor in the case, issued his response via email to News

Center 11.

"The jury's verdicts were a well deserved victory for the victim in this case," said Baldock. (She) had the courage to face the Defendant in open court and in so doing let him know that she

was not going to be hurt or manipulated by him anymore."

"The jury's verdicts were also a victory in the State's larger war against domestic violence," he said. "I applaud the work the jury did in this case and through their decision one of

Fairbanks' worst batterers was held accountable for his crimes."

Parks had been offered a plea deal in the case, which would have meant a 10 year prison term, but he turned it down.

He now faces as much as 99 years in jail in light of the jury verdicts.

Shortly after today's decision, in a fit of anger, Parks caused extensive damage to restroom facilities in his holding cell, and refused to be part of any further court proceedings.

Sentencing in the case is set for February 10, 2014.