At three this afternoon, July 8th,, the Evacuation Notice for residents of Two Rivers and Pleasant Valley was lifted by the Interagency Management Team, Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Fairbanks North Star Borough and the Alaska State Troopers.
An Evacuation Watch is still in place along Chena Hot Springs Road between Mileposts 16 and 34.
Areas of active, uncontrolled fire exist within the Watch area.
Residents should be alert for food and water contamination resulting from possible electric power outages that may have occurred during the evacuations.
· Refrigerated items should be safe as long as power has been out no more than a few hours.
· Residents with private wells will need to disinfect their well if an electric power outage has occurred.
If it is not known whether a power outage took place, it is best to err on the side of caution and disinfect the well upon returning home.
· Contact the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation for information on how to disinfect a private well at
· Limit prolonged outdoor activities in areas experiencing smoke from forest fires.
· The elderly, young children and people with asthma, chronic respiratory illness or heart disease may be particularly prone to adverse health effects from heavy smoke.
· For air quality updates, please visit the Fairbanks North Star Air Quality Division website: http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/airquality/.