According to an online audio recording, the militant group has claimed responsibility for an attack on a museum in the Tunisian capital on Wednesday which killed 20 foreign tourists. It praised the two attackers whom the recording said were "knights of the Islamic State" who were armed with machineguns and bombs. (Reporting By Omar Fahmy; Writing by Noah Browning; Editing by Toby Chopra)
Even though most people around the world won't be able to see Friday's total solar eclipse in person, anyone with an Internet connection can watch it live online thanks to two webcasts featuring the cosmic event. The March 20 total solar eclipse — the first since November 2013 — will make the daytime sky go dark for people in the Faroe Islands and parts of the North Atlantic. You can watch the 2.5-hour-long solar eclipse webcast through the Slooh website starting at 4:30 a.m. EDT (0830 GMT) on March 20. "Nothing — and I mean absolutely nothing in nature — is as powerful and spectacular as the totality of a solar eclipse," Slooh astronomer Bob Berman said in a statement.
Surveillance video of two U.S. Secret Service agents drunk driving at the White House may have been erased as part of the agency's policy of deleting recordings every 72 hours, CNN reported on Thursday. Two videos of the incident, where the agents slowly pulled onto White House grounds and into an active bomb investigation, exist, but the chairman of the House of Representatives Oversight Committee, Jason Chaffetz, told CNN that he learned other recordings may have been deleted. The director of the agency charged with protecting the president as well as other agents, Joseph Clancy, is set to testify about this latest scandal before a Senate committee Thursday afternoon. He testified earlier this week at the House of Representatives.
The Boston Marathon bombing trial is due to turn on Thursday to damage to a residential street where prosecutors say defendant Dzhokhar Tsarnaev detonated a pressure-cooker bomb similar to the two devices he is accused of setting off at the race. Tsarnaev, 21, is charged with killing three people and injuring 264 with a pair of homemade bombs on April 15, 2013, and with fatally shooting a university police officer three days later. FBI Special Agent Brian Corcoran testified on Wednesday that a pressure-cooker bomb became embedded in a car parked on a Watertown, Massachusetts, street when Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, threw explosives at police officers during a gunfight as the duo tried to flee the city on April 19, 2013. The gunfight ended when Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hopped into a black Mercedes and attempted to run over three police officers who were trying to arrest Tamerlan.
Maybe what we need, and what teachers should welcome, isn’t the data on the test scores and “value-added” rankings that some parents are demanding — or, at least, not that alone. What we need is for some tech entrepreneur to come up with a Yelp or an Angie’s List for public schools, because the amalgamated voice of the consumer is the most powerful kind of accountability in American life.
By Jonathan Kaminsky NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Robert Durst, the real estate scion charged with first-degree murder, is suicidal, according statements by Louisiana authorities released on Wednesday after they moved him to a facility for inmates suffering from acute mental illness. Awaiting extradition to California, the 71-year-old Durst was charged this week in Los Angeles County with killing longtime friend Susan Berman in 2000. Three of Durst's condominiums in Houston were searched on Tuesday, and there have also been investigations in northern California, where the disappearances of two teenagers in 1997 raised questions about his whereabouts at the time. The heir to a New York real estate dynasty was arrested in New Orleans on Saturday with a handgun, marijuana, a fake ID and over $42,000 in cash, records show, one day before the airing of the final installment of an HBO documentary, "The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst." In it, Durst was presented with evidence of similar handwriting on two envelopes, one from himself and another that likely originated from Berman's killer.
(Reuters) - The last two members of a group of U.S. healthcare workers whose colleague is being treated for the Ebola virus returned on Wednesday from Sierra Leone to the United States, where they are being monitored for possible exposure to the deadly virus. Their repatriation brought the total number of Americans brought back from the West African nation to 18 since last Friday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday night. "They were part of the same group that have been coming back slowly, said CDC spokeswoman Jennifer McQuiston. Neither of the two healthcare workers brought back Wednesday has tested positive for Ebola, but they are being monitored because they might have been exposed to a colleague who has contracted it.
By David Schwartz MESA, Ariz. (Reuters) - A gunman opened fire inside a motel room in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa on Wednesday, killing a man and wounding two women before shooting three more people as he sought to elude an exhaustive manhunt that ended in his capture, police said. Officers using a stun gun subdued the suspected gunman, identified as Ryan Elliot Giroux, 41, at a vacant condominium where he had taken refuge, some four hours after the initial shooting, Mesa police spokesman Esteban Flores told reporters.
By Steve Ginsburg WASHINGTON (Reuters) - March Madness gripped the White House and lots of other workplaces on Wednesday as President Barack Obama joined an estimated 60 million Americans scrambling to make their predictions for the annual tournament to crown a collegiate basketball champion. Obama, appearing on the ESPN cable network to pick winners round by round, selected undefeated Kentucky to beat Villanova in the April 6 finals of the NCAA Tournament that begins in earnest on Thursday. Despite being a self-proclaimed basketball junkie, history is not on Obama's side. "I think Kentucky is going to take it," Obama told a Cleveland audience later in the day.
By David Schwartz MESA, Ariz. (Reuters) - A gunman opened fire inside a motel room in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa on Wednesday, killing one man and wounding two women, then shot three more people as he sought to elude a manhunt that ended in his capture, police said. The suspect, who was not immediately identified by authorities, was subdued some four hours after the initial shooting by officers using a stun gun at a vacant condominium where he had taken refuge, Mesa police spokesman Esteban Flores told reporters.